Sustento assists public and private sector entities in Latin America to understand, quantify and improve the sustainability of their activities, mainly through environmental footprint assessments and training. Sustento also assists financial institutions to fulfill their sustainability obligations and make better investment decisions, based on renewable natural resources security.
Environmental footprint accounting and assessments are practical and objective approaches to evaluate the degree of sustainability (or “un-sustainability”) of a given economic activity, company or country. Footprint assessments help to focus our attention on the most significant risks and opportunities towards sustainability.
Why do it?
Private Sector Benefits:
- Improve competitivity in the market, while reducing risk of over-dependence on critical natural resources,
- Obtain more revenue per unit of environmental asset used,
- Establish quantitative sustainability benchmarks and targets, and
- Demonstrate real commitments and transparency towards sustainability.
Contact us to learn more about the benefits of conducting footprint assessments or a free presentation.
Public Sector Benefits:
- Evaluate the current situation and potential risks,
- Optimize the management of ecological and water resource assets, and
- Define effective policies that assure resilient economies and, ultimately,
- Seek a more equitable distribution of natural resources.
Contact us for examples of different levels of government around the world that have benefited from reducing and managing their footprints.
The financial sector has significant influence towards sustainability. Sustento can assist financial institutions comply with their sustainability obligations and make better investment decisions based on natural resource security, including:
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) – Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability
- Equator Principles – Environmental and Risk Management Framework
- Environmental Footprints to Anticipate Potential Financial Risks and Stranded Assets
- Environmental Footprint and Natural Resource Security Training
Training and Workshops
Sustento provides training and organizes workshops to a range of public, private and academic sectors in either Spanish or English. The presentations are customized specifically to the interest and needs of the audience, and can range from understanding sustainability science on a general level, to the technical methodologies behind footprint assessments, to how footprint assessments can be incorporated into high level, strategic decisions and policies.